Monday 4 July 2011

Day 3 - thoughts on fairy tale retelling

opening wordcount: 1,286

I have been thinking for a while about fairy tales and how many authors have done their own versions of them. Of course more seem to keep to the best known fair tales. I imagine they want the readers to recognize what fairy tale they themselves are retelling. On the other hand I would like to try doing my own take on less commonly known fairy tales. The Brothers Grimm themselves published over 200 fairy tales, some of them different versions of the same basic story and others silly stories that have no real depth or even moral value. But after those are discarded there remains a pool of stories in which there are a number that are less commonly known than those that are usually thought of. I would like to try my hand at writing my own version of these stories though it would not necessarily be my intention to have them recognized as others write but to try to add depth to stories that by nature tend to be fairly formulaic and shallow. I also just like the idea of telling stories in knew and different ways in the hopes of hitting on something that hasn't yet been tried. I have a copy of the complete, original Grimms' Fairytales and the complete 1001 Arabian Nights. I also want to get my hands on the complete original Hans Christian Anderson if I can. The nice thing about fairy tales is that they are fairly basic and lend themselves to being expanded upon. I imagine it is why there are so many authors who have done their own version of them. :) It is worth a try I think.

closing wordcount: 1,587

No comments:

Post a Comment